You might have many FAQ'S, or just a couple. No question is a silly question. You might just find what you are looking for below....if not, please contact me.

When should I choose my Celebrant?

Once you have decided on a date and a venue please make contact with me. I can book up quickly, so to avoid disappointment, let's talk.

What does the Wedding Celebrant do?

You cannot have a legal wedding without an authorized celebrant. I am familiar with the legal requirements for your wedding and all the legal documentation. I write your ceremony after consultation with you, giving you ideas, making adjustments, planning thoroughly for your day and making arrangements for a rehearsal. I of course perform the ceremony, take responsibility for the marriage certificates and generally make sure the ceremony runs smoothly and to your expectation.

Do we have to memorise our vows?

No. Almost nobody does. In fact it's a good idea if you don't place this pressure on yourself at a time you might be feeling nervous. It's much better if you just relax and enjoy the ceremony, without having to worry about what you have to say. I will take care of everything. You can repeat them after me (and no-one else will hear me, but you). Easy! Or, you can read them.

Can we write our own vows?

Of course!  When you have finalised them, you just need to email them to me, so I can include them in the ceremony.

How long does a ceremony last?

Ceremonies usually take about 30 minutes. It depends on the content, which is chosen by you. From the time we first see a bridesmaid on her way down the aisle, until the time happy Mr & Mrs are making their exit down the aisle, most ceremonies will fit perfectly into that time frame. The final timing is really up to you though.

Can we exchange gifts instead of rings?

Absolutely. There is no law or obligation that states you must exchange rings.

What sort of music will I need for my wedding ceremony?

Every ceremony is different but to point you in the direction of deciding what you would like, the below is a list of stages throughout the ceremony where music is useful:

  • Walk down the aisle
  • Signing of the register
  • Recessional. Exit of the bridal party

You will need to choose a person who can take responsibility for the music BUT make it easy for them. It's a great idea to call the songs on your playlist AISLE SONG, SIGNING SONG and so on. That way, it's crystal clear for the music person.

Is a wedding rehearsal necessary?

If you want one, I can certainly be there to perform one. If kids are part of the day, this might be helpful. Not only is it an opportunity to iron out any queries, it is often an opportunity for the wedding party to relax together in fun before the big event. If it’s not possible, or you don’t have time, don’t worry, I will be there in plenty of time to sort everything on your wedding day.

Can you bring a signing table & chair?

No. Most weddings have event hire or decorators to do set-ups, get them to provide it as part of a package. Then I can concentrate on the most important part of your day, the ceremony delivery.

Do you need a wet weather plan?

Yes, this a great idea! It means you can remain calm and enjoy the time getting ready, instead of organising venues on the day of your wedding. Your guests will not thank you for making them stand in the rain, unprotected. You need to let me know Plan B. If its a different venue, or different time of day, we need to talk about that. If your sunny day wedding is at 3pm, but your wet-day wedding would be at 5:30pm, in a different place, I need to know the address and to confirm I can be there. Don't forget to put someone in charge of notifying guests on the day.

And what if it’s super hot?

Organise shade.  And water – for everyone. It costs very, very little to provide your guests with water bottles – and there is always a couple of friends willing to help. This thoughtful gesture will make all the difference to your guests’ comfort. If they are boiling hot, chances are, they won’t hear a word we say.

Do you need umbrellas for ceremonies?

It's a great idea to have them organised, just in case you need them. Sometimes weather can be unpredictable in the sub tropics. Don't be caught out after you have spent so much effort and time on your hair and makeup.

We aren’t really very traditional….

You don’t have to have a formal, traditional ceremony, at all. You can be light and friendly and casual, or funny, or elegant and simple – or anything you like.

But what if you are sick on the day?

I would need to be in a very serious condition to not be available for your ceremony, but if this did happen, I could count on my celebrant friends to help out. For anything else, I will be there for you. I have NEVER double-booked, got sick, been late, let anyone down.

Do you do more than one wedding a day?

I try not to, but if there is a mid morning wedding and a mid afternoon wedding, yes of course I do, if they are in close proximity to one another. I will never let you down and I take energy and enthusiasm to every wedding. I love it!

But some celebrants say they will only do one per day...why?

Sure - but maybe you should ask yourself why? Is it because they only have the energy for one? Or is it because they just aren't in the same level of demand as I am? If your wedding is at  3pm, there's really no reason why I can't perform a ceremony at 11am.

I thought a celebrant only cost $300?

Some of them do, but not many who are experienced. The rule applies, you pay for what you get.  I’m also the least expensive - and most important part of your wedding day. Do you really want to scrimp on the one part that truly matters?

The fee is inclusive of all legal documentation before, during and after your wedding ceremony, all meetings, writing your ceremony, a rehearsal, solemnizing your marriage on your wedding day, travel time (within 15kms of my office) and telephone calls.

What will you wear, Skai?

I always make every effort to co-ordinate as best I can to your bridal colours and styles, so tell me what colours your bridesmaids are wearing, what flowers you will carry, and the theme of your wedding, so I can fit in as best I can. To keep it simple though, I often wear black.

Should I be late?

No. Treat your guests and bridal party with respect. Most of all, think of your groom - he's waiting for you!  Think of your schedule for the day. You'll probably run out of time for your photos, if you are late.  If you are worried about guests arriving late, invite them for 15 minutes, before you plan to arrive. No more than 15 minutes.

What does a wedding ceremony look like?

Your ceremony can be as traditional or unique as you would like it to be. You can have just the minimum legal wording or include elements such as poems, readings, rituals, music and dance. An example is below:

  • Processional – Entrance of the wedding party (Optional)
  • Welcome/Introduction
  • First Poem/Reading/Ritual/Prayer/Music/Dance (Optional)
  • Giving away of the bride (Optional) (eg: “Who gives Serina to be married to this man?…”)
  • Monitum – Legal wording spoken by the Celebrant from the Marriage Act
  • The Asking (Optional) (eg: “Do you take James to be your husband?…”)
  • The Vows (Your promises to each other)
  • Second Poem/Reading/Ritual/Prayer/Music/Dance (Optional)
  • Ring Ceremony (Optional) (exchange of wedding rings)
  • Conclusion and Declaration (“… I now pronounce you husband and wife.”)
  • Signing the Marriage Register
  • Presentation of the Marriage Certificate (Optional)
  • Recessional – Exit of the bridal party (Optional)

Do you need to be an Australian Citizen to marry in Australia?

No. Anyone may marry in Australia providing you are both over the age of 18 and not legally married.

Do we need to be in Australia a certain time before we can marry?

No. You can marry the day that you arrive from overseas if you wish. However, by law, I MUST receive The Notice of Intended Marriage form from you at least 1 month before the wedding. To be on the safe side, send it early.

Will the marriage be recognised in my own country?

You should confirm this with your own government agency which records marriages in your country.

Can we use legal paperwork that is in another language?

No. Before you can submit it, your paperwork will need to be translated into the English language by a recognised/registered translator.

How much 'Notice' must be given to be married in Australia?

At least 1 month. (In exceptional circumstances the Registrar may approve a shortening of time for the 'Notice').

Can we re-marry in Australia after being married in another country?

No. The only type of ceremony you would be able to have would be either a Renewal Ceremony or a Commitment Ceremony. I can perform these ceremonies for you, just ask me about it.

Can I use photo copies and certified copies of my legal documents?

No. All documents must be originals.

How do I find a translator in Australia?

If you require a translator or interpreter within Australia, please visit.... www.naati.com.au/

Can I marry anywhere in Australia?

Yes. An Authorised Civil Marriage Celebrant is permitted to perform a wedding ceremony anywhere within Australian waters, airspace or land.

Do we have to attend any pre-marital courses?

No, however, I have contact details of businesses in the Northern Rivers region, that provide this service, should you wish to attend.

We want to elope, what do we need to do?

It’s easy! All you need is to complete the legalities with me and have two people, who are eighteen years old or over to witness your wedding ceremony.

We want to get married in a park, on a beach or on private land. Do we need permission?

Yes. It is best to contact the local council, land owner or National Park in the area you want to get married to see if there are fees or restrictions.

What do I do if I can’t find my original documents?

If you were born in Australia, you can obtain a copy of your birth certificate and if applicable, a death certificate of a former spouse from the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages, in the state in which you were born. If divorced you can obtain a copy of your Divorce Order from the Family Law Court in the state in which your marriage was dissolved.

Can our children be part of the ceremony?

Yes. There are some lovely ways to make children feel special and involved for your ceremony.

Can I marry if I am younger than 18 years old?

A parent’s written consent and a court order under section 12 of the Marriage Act is required.

What do I need to do to change my surname after marriage?

If you were married in Australia and want to update your drivers licence or passport to your married name, you do not need to register a change of name. Instead, you will need to present your official marriage certificate as proof of marriage.

If you were married overseas, you may need to apply to register a change of name. Different organisations have varying requirements. Check with the relevant organisations before submitting any application.

What proof of marriage will I receive on my wedding day?

On your wedding day you will receive a certificate signed by you and your witnesses and I'. This certificate is for your own records. This certificate may not be accepted as proof of marriage for official purposes, such as updating your driver licence or passport to your married name.

What does “conjugal status” mean?

Conjugal status indicates whether someone has been married and if so, how that marriage ended.

  • If you have not been previously married or your marriage was annulled your conjugal status is 'Never validly married'. Note. Do not use the term 'single' on a Notice of Intended Marriage form or marriage certificate, as it does not indicate whether you have been married previously.
  • If you have been previously married and divorced your conjugal status is 'Divorced'.
  • If you have been previously married and your spouse passed away, your conjugal status is 'Widow' (women) or 'Widower' (men).